Khertvisi Castle, Khertvisi, Georgia

Monday, August 1, 2011

Sick

Sam and I spent an unplanned week in Tbilisi right after our parents departure. We went into Tbilisi to see them off to the airport on July 11 and then headed back to Akhalkalaki for some R&R and project work before our next big summer plans and activities. Unfortunately, that week of rest and relaxation got hijacked by sickness.

I got pretty unpleasantly sick the night we returned to site and wasn't any better the next day (Tuesday). We called our PCMOs (Peace Corps Medical Officers, or Dr. Tamriko and Dr. Marina, as we call them) and they told us they wanted us to come in to Tbilisi for check ups to make sure it was nothing. The road isn't exactly a pleasant one to travel on when you're feeling your best, but at your pukiest worst, it's a real doozy. Luckily, they sent a PC vehicle to get us, which limited the bumps and definitely kept the grandmothers carrying large bags of unrefrigerated cheese to the lowest number I've ever had on a Tbilisi trip.

We're really fortunate at our PC post to have fantastic doctors who are, if anything, a little too cautious about our health and who mother us in a way that is really pretty comforting when we're sick so far from home. Drs. Tamriko and Marina took excellent care of me, kept me in Tbilisi for almost a week, and got me all back into shape, so I could tackle all of the projects and plans I have for the summer. Hopefully, with this case of "severe food intoxication" (as they called it) behind me, I can finish up the rest of service without any other issues!

1 comment:

  1. I am very glad you are feeling better, though if Mom had told me it was food intoxication instead of food poisoning I would not have worried as much. I mean, who among us has not had a little to much at the Oglebay Bountiful Breakfast and had to sleep it off?

    ReplyDelete