Khertvisi Castle, Khertvisi, Georgia

Friday, July 20, 2012

A little more from Helsinki

I had a great time in Helsinki.  I managed to do a ton: I took a sightseeing tour, I went to three different museums, I ate Napoleon cake at a cafe that's famous for it, I went out to the sea fortress and toured it as well as a WW2-era submarine, I ate sausages (made of moose, reindeer, bear and wild boar) at the harbor, I bought fresh berries, I walked around the city... it was a surprisingly relaxing 3 days, given all that I did.  

Here are a few more photos of Helsinki!

The front of the train station square

The Kappeli restaurant in the promenade

Fountain that is the symbol of the city

Helsinki harbor

Old market building

Helsinki Cathedral, on Senate Square

Crazy clouds out over the Baltic

The "Flying Finn" near the Olympic stadium


 Then, on Thursday morning, I woke up bright and early (and it gets bright very early in Helsinki--the sun rose at about 4:30 every morning) and caught a ferry to Estonia.  Here are two pics of my last views of Helsinki, both before the boat left the harbor and before my eyelids snapped shut for the duration of the ride.

Goodbye, Helsinki!

The Estonian flag waving goodbye to Finland as we headed out over the water for Tallinn

No comments:

Post a Comment